Online poker is a long way from the game of cards you might have played with your Grandma as a child where she helped you out and turned a blind eye to your blatant attempts to look at her hand of cards. Poker can be a serious business and you really need to know what you are doing. To help you out, here are some useful pointers before you get started...
- The first thing to remember is that you are playing for real money. Even though it is in the virtual world and not on the table in front of you it is still your own hard-earned money so treat the game with respect and only play with an amount you are comfortable with.
- Don't over-stretch yourself. Play one hand at a time and concentrate on it properly; this is not like when you play bingo online and can cover several cards at once. Pay attention and you are less likely to make mistakes.
- Be confident to say no. You don't have to play every hand: it is a myth that every hand can potentially win so be selective and you will be more likely to break even or win in the long term.
- Pick your time to play. Never enter an online poker game when you are overly tired, distracted or under the influence of alcohol. Your impeded mental functions will not help you out, believe me!
- Try and play against people worse than you. If you are an absolute beginner then always enter a game with other novices if possible to avoid a disappointing and frustrating experience. As you grow in experience you can always move on up.
- Be thoughtful. If you are living with a significant other or have a family to take into consideration then don't get hooked on your new online hobby and miss out on real life! Balance the two and everyone will appreciate it.